The Wine Show is coming to Durban and The Socialite finds out more along with a few handy tips for first-timers, check it out…
Whether you are a first time visitor or a seasoned pro, these tips will ensure you quaff with confidence.
- Take a look at the Show Map to familiarise yourself with the layout and find out where your favourite wineries are situated;
- Start off with bubbly and then work your way to white wines, leaving red and fortified wines for last;
- Find a wine that you enjoy, take a look at the label to see what type of grape it is e.g. Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Pinotage, etc. and then try the same varietal from different estates.
- It is also useful to note where the wine has come from. For instance Robertson has a warmer climate than Stellenbosch, so its wines are often bolder. Likewise, cool-climate areas such as Elgin arguably produce more delicate wines, particularly with Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. You may find you naturally prefer cooler or warmer climate wines;
- Other things to look out for are the vintage, alcohol content and if you are sensitive to sulphates, take note of whether the wine contains these;
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – the winemakers have come to The Wine Show specifically to meet and talk to you about their wines. There are no silly questions;
- If you plan on tasting quite a few wines during the course of the day/ night then it’s probably best to make use of the spittoons. Be sure to take a break from tasting and enjoy some food and a cool drink at one of the in-show restaurants;
- It is impossible to taste all of the wines on show, or even a selection of wines from every winery, in just one day. The Weekend Pass (R160) is therefore perfect for the intrepid wine-explorer;
- One of the advantages of The Wine Show is that there are over 60 of SA’s best loved wineries under one roof and you are able to buy the wines at the show. Be sure to take advantage of promotional offers, gift packs and cellar door prices to stock up on wines for the festive season and Christmas gifts for family and friends. From bubbly and port to local and international wines, yummy cheeses, olives and olive oil you are sure to find something for everyone on your Christmas gift list;
- If you find yourself stocking up on more bottles than you can comfortably carry, remember that Dawn Wing offers a “Sip ‘n Ship” service – simply drop off your purchases and collect them on your way out or arrange for the wines to be couriered directly to your door.
The Wine Show will take place in Durban over the following days:
- Friday 23 November 2012: 17:00 – 21:00
- Saturday 24 November 2012: 12:00 – 21:00
- Sunday 25 November 2012: 12:00 – 17:00
Be sure to pop in to the Frogitt & Vonkel, Wines of the World and Nixan stands to sample everything from French Champagne to Italian Prosecco, but don’t forget our local Methode Cap Classique.
Whilst The Wine Show Durban promises to be a lot of fun, it is important to drink responsibly. Ensure that someone in your group is the designated driver or make use of the Goodfellas team who will be on stand-by for the last 3 hours of each show day to drive visitors home, free of charge, on a first-come-first-served basis.
Tickets are available in advance through Computicket for R85 per person, at the door for R95 and weekend passes are R160 per person. For more information visit www.wineshow.co.za or call 021 888 8803.