The bubbly brunettes chatted to Chia Kougianos about what she gets up to in a typical day and about playing Dancing Queen on the weekends, check it out…
1. Tell us a bit about what is involved in a typical day…
My days are very spontaneous, some days I am rushing off from an interview to a sound check other days I am spending my hours in studio working on new ideas. Although I really do enjoy the chaos as I think it keeps me on my toes and wide awake.
2. What music did you listen to growing up?
Growing up I admired artists such as Etta James, Curtis Mayfield, Nina Simone, Diana Ross, Kylie Minogue and my absolute favourites were Marvin Gaye and Amy Winehouse.
3. Is there a particular artist either local or international who inspires you?
The one artist who really inspires me is Amy Winehouse as she is a talent that grew up with me – I have always turned to her for inspiration, musical guidance and or when I just needed a voice to lean on.
4. What can we look forward to seeing in your next music video?
That my dear is a surprise but you can expect a lot of fun and cheeky moments, I really want to experiment and play with idea’s that aren’t cliché.
5. Who would you love to collaborate with one day?
Well my first choice was always Amy, but considering the horrible circumstances I would love to work with Kylie Minogue, Diana Ross or Mick Jagger.
6. Advice to anyone looking for a career in the SA music scene?
Try get involved in as much music related projects whether it’s school concerts , competitions , open mic nights etc. because not only are you sharing your talent and strengthening your talent but you never know who could be listening.
7. Where can we find you on the weekend?
On the weekend you would find me dining with close friends , playing ‘dancing queen’ in Greenside , taking photographs in town with my disposable camera , in studio or at home in my own space.
8. Your best stress reliever is…
The studio, it is a free safe place where I am able to express myself and confront my thoughts.
9. How would you describe your style?
I think my style is rather spontaneous, eclectic and sexy. I like to play different characters through fashion and leaving the house feeling sexy and comfortable in my own skin is key.
10. Name your all-time favourite fashion item?
A chunky pair of platform heels
11. Worst current fashion trend in your opinion?
Lumo colours and I just don’t see eye to eye.
12. You’re auditioning for Idols. What song would you choose?
I would probably sing one of my own written songs and see how they like them apples.
13. If a genie gave you three wishes, what would they be?
I would trade all three wishes in return for more ‘time’.
14. If you had the power to annihilate all recordings of one song, what would it be?
Valerie – Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse
Two lucky Socialite readers will also get the chance to win a signed copy of her debut album Hungry. To qualify for entry into our competition simply ‘Like’ our FB page found http://www.facebook.com/thesocialite.co.za and let us know what your favourite Chiano Sky track is and why. Entries close Friday 14th September at 12. Best of luck x