Chia Kougianos caught up with the fashionista behind the Bianca Kim label and found out about her latest fashion splurge, hot season trends and what makes Lady Gaga a global fashion icon. Check it out…
1. How and why did you become involved in fashion design?
I’ve always loved to be creative and design things from when I was a child. It started ever since I can remember and it’s always been my dream to design beautiful clothing. In fact for a short time I worked in the retail industry but then soon realised I wanted to have the freedom to do my own thing and wanted to build my own successful clothing line and design clothing that people love.
2. How do you get inspiration for your labels?
I like to keep a watch on global trends, top international designers and celeb-led fashion. I’m also inspired by fabrics and textures, colours and prints, objects, shapes nature and buildings. I like my designs to be interesting and unique as well as have a trend-forward elements to them. Most importantly I aim for high quality and reasonable prices as well as glamorous designs and durability of clothes.
3. What is the best thing you have learned from having a fashion blog?
The best thing for me has been to connect with my fans/customers and to be able to share new things, ideas and inspirations. I always love to hear what my customer’s thoughts are and customer satisfaction and loyalty is a main priority for “BiancaKim Clothing”
4. Advice to anyone looking for a career in fashion?
Be prepared to work hard and keep an open mind, the most important thing to me is to be able to design, adapt and change to suit a fast paced industry but always be true to yourself and what you believe in. And never give up, if you have a dream believe in yourself and you can do anything.
5. How would you describe your style?
My style depends on how I feel and my mood. I enjoy experimenting with different trends and aim to dress to suit my body type. In my wardrobe this winter season are my brogues, stockings, 80s snow washed high waisted denims, boyfriend blazer and some long sleeve floral dresses.
6. Who would you nominate as the hottest designer worldwide right now and why?
I think it would have to be Roberto Cavalli, he is also one of my favourite designers. The man has got skill and he has this way of taking clothing to the next level. He really captures luxury in a piece of clothing that makes it so interesting to watch as it makes its way down the runway! I would say he is the biggest fashion icon at the moment although I would love to see what Lady Gaga will do next. It is always so over the top yet really refreshing to see as she’s not afraid to make a statement.
7. Whose style do you most admire?
I love Nicole Richie, it’s a mix between a classic old school Hollywood and Boho-chic look. I like how relaxed her style is. Her clothing and jewellery collection House of Harlow 1960 and Winter Kate are fabulous, she’s defiantly a trend setter.
8. Your latest fashion splurge?
I recently visited Forever New where I bought these stunning leopard print wedges. I’m obsessed with shoes.
9. What’s exciting right now in fashion?
Fashion is always exciting as there is never an off button. I never stop working and I’m always designing things in my head and constantly researching and working on new ideas. Right now I’m excited about my swimwear collection, which I’m busy working on for next summer. As for this season’s winter trends I love the laid back look, Doc Martins, brogues, stockings, layering, hats, turbans, indie styling, crop tops, peg leg pants, messy buns, aviation, coats and jackets.
10. In your opinion, what is the biggest fashion trend at the moment?
Jumpsuits/playsuits that are well fitted and perfectly constructed, as well as men’s wear inspired pieces like jackets and pants are trending this season.
11. Name your five all-time favourite fashion items
- I LOVE accessories especially rings, I’ll wear like two or three on one hand.
- High-waisted items are my favourite. I love anything high-waisted from denim shorts to pants to high-waisted body con skirts.
- I’m also crazy about nautical inspired pieces, anchor buttons, rope trimmings, gold detailing and sailor stripes; all things nautical.
- Play suits and wedges – I love how you can dress them down or dress them up and they are both super comfortable.
- A simple LBD (little black dress) no matter your mood you can never go wrong with a stunning little black dress, pair it with a biker jacket and some killer heels or add a statement piece of jewellery, always stylish.
12. Ultimate celebrity shopping companion?
Oh most definitely the Kardashians! Kim K and her sisters look like they can spend some serious money. She is my fav celeb style icon as she’s not scared to show off her curves and she always looks stylish.
The Socialite’s Chia Kougianos will be dressed in a unique Bianca Kim Clothing dress for our next Video Showcase at the K & K Winterfest where Chia will be interviewing the likes of Flash Republic, Jax Panik, aKing, Zebra and Giraffe, Kurt Darren and Snotkop. Look out for the video coming soon to The Socialite and check out the rest of the Bianca Kim Clothing collection at www.biancakimclothing.co.za.