It’s only a matter of days now before South Africa’s most popular race day event is set to take place in the Vodacom Durban July. Designers Francois Vedemme, Malcolm Kluk and Christiaan Gabriel du Toit of the label Klûk CGDT and Abigail Betz offer their fashion advice for those in search of the perfect race day garment…
Francois Vedemme’s Fashion Tips:
- Do keep it simple and stylish with clever forward thinking.
- Try to be innovative with personal style without being trashy and literal.
- Don’t fall into the trap of rehashing garishness year after year.
- Accessorize – a fabulous pair of shoes always defines the outfit together with a good bag and not too many extra baubles, the garment must speak for itself.
Malcolm Kluk and Christiaan Gabriel du Toit of the label Klûk CGDT Fashion Tips:
- Pace yourself. It is a long day and too much indulgence in the morning means you may miss the main race.
- This is an elegant affair, don’t dress for fun, you will just look silly.
- Think of flat shoes or wedges, nothing looks worse than smart dress with no shoes.
- Do not wear your Matric dance dress – this is not stylish for the races, however beautiful. Dress elegantly and not like a hooker in a hotel lobby.
Abigail Betz’s Fashion Tips:
- Keep it simple, classic, choose a shape, colour and style that suites you.
- Add a subtle twist (in the hemline or neckline or sleeve), a unique piece of you that will make you stand out.
- For your hat (got to have one) keeping it small and elegant is what I will be doing but if big is your thing then just keep it simple.
- Don’t pack everything and the kitchen sink onto your brim!!