Causing sensation in boutiques and runways across the country with its sexy, shimmery and unique designs, the Ruff Tung label is heavily in demand. Instantly recognisable for its eye-catching glamour, the gorgeous SA label can soon be seen in an exclusive fashion show at the King Club…
Driven by the absence of Durban FashionWeek this year, Ruff Tung, Leigh Shubert and Holmes Brothers have joined forces to showcase their latest collections at the King Club in Durban. We chatted to Jean-Paul Botha, the man behind hot label Ruff Tung to find out more…
1. What can we look forward to seeing in your range at the King Club Collections?
This collection is all about pulled together glamour. Sexy and edgy, but also wearable and functional. I played a lot with contrasting textures and silhouettes to create a collection of looks to suit the many moods of the modern woman.
2. What was your inspiration behind the collection?
I am very inspired by the mid century aesthetic- that perfect 50’s hour glass shape is so feminine and sexy. I always have several reference points when I work and one of these was the laid back look of models and dancers off duty. I love their casual style and the way they throw on and mix layers of contrasting textures, colours and silhouettes.
3. Who would you nominate as the hottest designer worldwide right now and why?
Alexander Mc Queen (R.I.P) without a doubt, even though he is no longer with us his last collection was earth shatteringly beautiful. There is no other designer who has the understanding of the female form coupled with the precision tailoring that Mc Queen had. His legacy will continue to inspire for generations to come.
4. Who are your style icons?
Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Twiggy, Grace Jones, Madonna, Isabella Blow, Nicole Ritchie, Dita von Teese, Lady GaGa.
5. Top 3 celeb choices to make your Best Dressed list?
1. Jennifer Conolly
2. Daphne Guiness (British fashionista and Mc Queen devotee)
3. Lady GaGa ( It took me a while to get it, but her dedication to her look and support of fashion in general earn her a mention on my top 3 list)
Tickets to the Kings Club Collections are currently being sold at the following outlets:
Leigh Schubert Boutique-Marriot Road
Georgeous Deluxe- Florida Road
Date: 13 May 2010
Venue: King Club (The Playhouse Complex)
231 Smith Street